Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

A Union County Treasure

Mifflinburg covered bridgeSettled in the late 1700s by German immigrants, the borough was initially two villages: Elias Youngman's town at the west end and George Rote's town on the east. Early houses were log and chink construction. Youngmanstown and Rotestown merged in 1827, renamed in honor of the first governor of Pennsylvania, Thomas Mifflin. There is a bend in the streets where the two towns meet.

In 1825, a turnpike connected Mifflinburg east to Lewisburg and Northumberland, and west to Aaronsburg and Bellefonte. The railroad connected Mifflinburg to Lewisburg in 1871, and by 1885, ran west where it met the Bellefonte and Tyrone Railroad.

Buggy manufacturing began in Mifflinburg in the 1840s and soon became an important industry, eventually supporting a large portion of the population. The town prospered in the late 1800s and early 1900s, becoming known as "Buggy Town." There were over 80 buggy, sleigh and carriage makers, producing thousands of vehicles each year, which were delivered and shipped to many states. Mifflinburg's Victorian homes reflect this prosperous development.

Many Mennonite farms and homes, where Pennsylvania German is still spoken, can be found surrounding the borough, offering farm stands, buggy and harness makers, quilts, woodworking and furniture shops.

Things to See and Do

How to Find Mifflinburg, PA