Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania

A Snyder County Treasure

New Image

Like many communities in the Susquehanna River Valley, Selinsgrove suffered from major fires in 1872 and 1874. The razed wooden structures were replaced, in many instances, by larger multi-purpose, brick buildings. Today, many of those buildings are still in use and house some of the town's most significant and important businesses, shops, and restaurants.

Selinsgrove became an important Susquehanna River community since George Gabriel
established a trading post on the Isle of Que in 1754. At the time, Native Americans were the main inhabitants of the area. John Snyder laid out the town not long after. Snyder died, and Anthony Selin, a Swiss soldier of fortune who fought in the Revolution, augmented Snyder’s plan of the town. Trade was conducted along the banks of the river, as it was the only means of transportation. In the 1820s, the Pennsylvania Canal was opened and further enhanced Selinsgrove (spelled Selin’s Grove originally) as a business hub. In 1871, the Sunbury & Lewistown Railroad increased local commerce even more. An early census shows the following occupations of town residents: wagonmaker, tailor, doctor, distiller, cabinetmaker, boatman, cooper, tinker, sadler, mason, and carpenter. With an abundance of small manufacturing plants, service-related operations, and specialty businesses, Selinsgrove remains a thriving, bustling community.

Things to See and Do

How to Find Selinsgrove, PA